Monday, January 16, 2012

Happy Birthday My Moo! Happy Birthday To You!



Today, January 16th is my mother's birthday. If she were alive we would be celebrating her 89th birthday. She died in May 2009. She had Alzheimer's Disease but that's not what she died from. I believe she died from a heart event.

I woke up one morning in April and the first thought that entered my mind was to go spend some time with her. I picked up my sister along the way. We got a hotel near the nursing home where she had been living since January and we spent 3 beautiful days together.

At the beginning of the visit she knew who I was. By the end, she didn't know me.

She had let me go.

It was something I think she needed to do.

I love these photos. They were taken during that visit.

My Mom was an independent, determined, self-confident woman with strong values. She could shoot a gun, play the guitar, cook a dang good cake, drink a stiff whiskey and beat your socks off at poker. She loved music and dancing and people. She was a nurse and I learned compassion from her.

Happy Birthday Moo (that's what we called her, that's what everyone called her, short for Muriel). I miss you and love you.

Blog-ees ---- Thanks for letting me share this with you today.

Much love,
Donna Rae

No comments:

Post a Comment