Friday, January 13, 2012

Magical Kazoo at Whole Foods

*********************************************************************************


So, today was just a crazy day. Won’t go into it. It was just one of those days that we all have every now and then that I felt like my wheels were turning about a million miles an hour and I wasn’t getting anywhere. I had to reach way down deep for some patience so that special words of profanity wouldn’t come out of my mouth.

Then a few things happened to allow me to switch my little self around.

First – I was out running errands and thinking about how I would like to include other women and their stories in this blog when I noticed my friend, Janice, who lives across the street from us, had called my cell. I figured it might be fun to have some nice tele company while I’m at the cleaners, the bank, Whole Foods and Walgreens. So, I gave Janice a ring. And she answered!!

As soon as I heard her voice I felt a little shift in my crazy ass mood.

We had a nice chat and then it occurred to me that Janice might be the perfect person to ask to be a guest on the blog. She will turn 59 in May, she is an athlete (serious biker), and she has had in her life a very significant health challenge. She’s also a hard working, thoughtful person with strong values and a strong sense of her wild woman nature. I asked her and she agreed. Yippie!

Second – When I was in the check out line unloading my nuts (I know that sounds obscene) and other goodies, Janice and I hung up with a promise to talk next week. Just that second...... I heard the most wonderful sound of a kazoo. I looked around and about 4 registers over was this little boy with long curly brown hair sitting in the cart just playing away. And at that very moment someone in some back room of the Whole Foods turned the loud speakers up so we could hear Michael Jackson singing Rock With You. The lady in front of me was having a hard time finding her credit card and had a scowly look on her face but……when she heard the kazoo and Michael singing she stopped, looked around and smiled really big.


Check out these lyrics - 


Girl, close your eyes
Let that rhythm get into you
Don't try to fight it
There ain't nothing that you can do
Relax your mind
Lay back and groove with mine
You gotta feel that heat
And we can ride the boogie
Share that beat of love

......jiving with the kazoo. You gotta just love it.


Since I didn’t have anything to do but look at my nuts (sorry, I couldn’t resist) and wait – I took a minute to watch the people around me. Just like “the wave” at a baseball game – this happy kazoo kid's music started penetrating everyone’s spirit. His little happy sound and jolly spirit went streaming out into the dang Whole Foods store and into the hearts of all the people there - the Anglos, the Latinos, the Eastern European, Jamaicans, Barbasodians (?) the French Canadians, everyone. This is not a lie. All the dark haired, black eyed, blue eyed, dredded, straight haired, false and real boob'd folks all around. 

I watched this happen. All the people in line next to him and his beautiful mom turned from sour, bored, can’t wait for this day to be over with, rushed, pained, really pained,  sick and tired faces to WOWZERS, WHAT IS THAT?, AHHHHHH, LISTEN TO THAT! Then the register next to that one and the one next to that one until - “the wave” made it to everyone at my register and my cashier, Maria, started dancing a little latino jig and the grocery packer guy started laughing and so it went to the next register and the next.

I thought to myself  -  the world could end right this minute and all of these souls touched by this little boy's playing would float right up to heaven on these light, fresh, restorative notes.

It seemed like the entire store was rocking out - even the folks in the aisles were packing in at the end of the aisles like it was the night before Thanksgiving or something..... just listening and smiling. 

I believe the veggies and fruits starting growing again and the flowers were dancing like in a Disney cartoon (do they do that in Sponge Bob and in Phineas and Ferb? What ever happened to Top Cat?)

I wouldn’t have been surprised to see some baby chicks break out of those cage free organic cartons and come running down the isle to follow that little kid right on out the store.

Or the quail eggs – did you know our Whole Foods sells quail eggs? Those quail birds must think it’s really weird that big ole humans want their little tiny brown speckled eggs. Do you know how many eggs it would take to make one quail egg omelet? About 100. That's a lot of work for a bunch of female quail birds.

So now there are baby quail birds and chicks following that precious little boy. Maybe the lobsters would jump out of the deathrow tank they are in and the snails would slither away from their holding pin and join the crowd.

Third –

Not once, but twice, two different Great Blue Herons flew right over my car on my way home. I could see their toenails.

As I unpacked the nuts (feeling less crazy) I thought about how magical life can be.

********************************************************************************

My friend and birthday sister Frances Benton Holden Tutt shared this wonderful message today. It's your THINK GOOD message from me and Frances and the brilliant person that composed it. 







                                     EVERYONE YOU MEET COMES WITH BAGGAGE
                    FIND SOMEONE WHO LOVES YOU ENOUGH TO HELP YOU UNPACK

I absolutely love this. It doesn't just relate to life partners; its a good rule for friends too. Here is my baggage and I'm not checking it at security, man. Here it is!! Ha!!

I know I wasn't going to blog again until next week, but I could not wait to tell you about this magical kazzoo kid.

XOXOXO,
Donna Rae

No comments:

Post a Comment