Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Just Do It!

                              Anne as one of the supernumeraries in Florida State Opera's Rigoletto
                         She says the experience represents her increasing tendencies to "just do it" 




I met Anne at the New World Symphony in Miami one Sunday afternoon. We were both sitting with our husbands in the first row. We had a few minutes to chat before the musicians came out. I discovered that we both love yoga and that she and her husband are "snow birds" just like Henry and I. 


We enjoyed the concert and ended up exchanging email addresses. Over the next few months we met several times for dinner before concerts and enjoyed some email exchanges about books we've read and that sort of thing.


As I approach 60, I especially enjoy talking with women in their 60's and older, interesting women - like Anne. There is something special about women this age. There is a confidence and a settledness that I really admire.


One day I asked Anne if she could sum up with two words how she feels in her 60's compared to her 50's. She said without hesitating - daring and calm. 


Anne rides a motorscooter in Massachusetts where they live when not in Florida, she is a serious student of yoga, going to class every day. She reads and especially enjoys non-fiction, her most recent favorite a biography of  Genghis Khan - legendary Mongolian ruler, unifier and conqueror.

Genghis Khan (1162-1227)

Genghis Khan
Genghis Khan



Genghis Khan Quotes about war, peace and reign
“If my body dies, let my body die, but do not let my country die.”
“The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.”
Ha!

Daring and calm. I love that description. I could use a little calm. I feel wild and crazy as I approach 60. I feel unsettled. Maybe a little like Genghis Khan.

I also feel daring.  I want to snowshoe up above the arctic circle and canoe in the northern territories of Canada. I want to go to the Galapagos and teach yoga and qi gong to folks that don't normally get the chance. There is so much I want to do.

One of the things Anne recently decided to do was to be a supernumerary in the Florida Grand Opera's production of Rigoletto. She tried out and they picked her. Of course they picked her - she is sophisticated and extremely well poised. She had a real part in the first scene. I didn't get to attend because I had already come back to Baltimore to care for my shoulder. Henry loved the production and thought it was great fun knowing personally one of the cast members. 

This is what Anne shared with me to share with you. 

I guess what I have learned having come to this most-advanced- stage-in-my-life-that-I-have-ever-been-in (and tomorrow I turn 68) is, as the old saw says, "not to sweat the small stuff and most everything is small stuff." 


I have become much more compassionate toward everyone (including myself), especially, believe it or not, the difficult people, because I recognize that everyone is in some kind of pain, the difficult people most of all. 

I have learned to use positive images and words in dealing with everyone, including myself, because how one presents thoughts is how they are received. 

With respect to men, I have finally learned that, unlike human females, they are very direct. Better to be explicit and kind than subtle. Works every time.

When Anne learned that I hurt my shoulder at the gym she said that the lesson for me is that - as we age, we must be gentler with ourselves (my step in step class was out of position and I didn't fix it, I was just going to when it slid out from under me).

As you can see Anne is full of good words and really great wisdom. Hope you had a wonderful birthday Anne and thank you for sharing your thoughts.

******************************************************

Fitness Day 7


This exercise feels so very good. It's energizing. 




                                                         Straight-Leg Rotational Bend


Stand with your feet shoulder width apart. Extend your arms overhead and clasp your hands.


Turn your torso to the right, exhale and slowly bend from the crease of the hips (groin) to the outside of the right foot. Don't worry if you don't go down all the way - that's OK. 


Go as far as you can with your legs straight but knees not locked. 


Hold for a few seconds. Return to start position and repeat on the left side. Be sure to stretch up lengthening your spine and then over.


Do 6 reps on each side.  


This is a great stretch for the hamstrings and back. It's also a nice twist for the spine. Move slowly and take it easy. Inhale big and exhale big.


******************************************************
FYI - 


My pain is so much better today after my shoulder was manipulated under general anesthesia yesterday. And my range of motion is amazingly better. I am faithfully doing every TWO hours the exercises my therapist has given me. 


Big hug,
Donna Rae

No comments:

Post a Comment