Thursday, February 2, 2012

Mindfulness



Happy Groundhog Day!!!!!
Looks like the groundhog saw his shadow today and there will be 6 more weeks of winter!


Emily's Edamame Salad

5 T red wine vinegar
3 T olive oil
2 limes juiced
pinch salt
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound package frozen shelled edamame
1 cup frozen corn
1 pint cherry toms, quartered
5 green onions, thinly sliced
1 15 oz. can black benas

1.     Wisk dressing ingreadients together (vinegar, olive oil,, lime, salt, garlic)
2.     Bring large pot water to boil. Add soybeans and boil 3 minutes. Add corn and continue cooking 1 minute. Drain very well and toss with dressing. Gently mix in rest.
3.     Refrigerate at least 2 hours

      This bean salad is one of my staples. It's so easy to prepare and densely nutritious. Be sure to buy shelled edamame. 

      I'm reading a book titled How To Train A Wild Elephant & Other Adventures In Mindfulness by Jan Chozen Bays, MD. It's a book offering simple daily mindfulness practices for living life more fully and joyfully. 

      As I approach 60 I have become so acutely aware of how short life is. I'm being more present when I eat (I never read while I'm eating), when I walk, when I drive, when I kiss my husband, when I see a beautiful picture of my children, watching birds (even buzzards!) watching fish swim, watching rain, appreciating more a dead flower in a vase, appreciating fully a dead bird on the sidewalk, appreciating a call from a friend, a good nights sleep. So much.

      The 47th adventure in the book is called - Look Deeply into Food. How do we look deeply into food? This is how Dr. Bays explains it -

      "When you eat, take a moment to look into the food or drink as if you could see backward, into its history. Use the power of imagination to see where it comes from and how many people might have been involved in bringing it to your place. Think of the people who planted, weeded, and harvested the food, the truckers who transported it, the food packagers and plant workers, the grocers and checkout people, and the family members or other cooks who prepared the food. Thank those people before you take a sip or a bite."

       At the monastery where Dr. Bays lives they say a chant before meals that contains this line: "We reflect on the effort that brought us this food and consider how it comes to us."

      I don't always remember to do this and I often don't say it out loud when I think of it. When I do our grocery shopping I always thank one of the men or women (it's usually men???) so thoughtfully displaying the veggies. I think of all the hands that were infusing their life energy into this food. 

      When I first arrive at the produce I always pause for a minute - almost overwhelmed by the colors, the abundance, the opportunity. I'm thankful to our earth for all of this, all of this.

      I sometimes think about the earthworms, bees, soil bacteria that help grow our food. I think of the sun, the rain, the blossoms, the wind. 

      I'm going to start being more mindful when I eat - to say out loud what I'm thinking before we begin. 
    
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    
      
      This is a photo I took on my walk this morning. These orchids were growing on a tree. I spent a little time appreciating how crazy beautiful they are and also appreciating the shriveled one in the background of the picture.


Knowing life is short
      
                                                          Enjoy it


 Day after day
                                                                              Moment after moment.
              
Suzuki Roshi,
            Zen Master


      Next blog will not be until Valentines Day! We're heading to Jamaica until February 12th. I'm going to miss being in touch with so many lovely people. Until then, I hope your days are all that you would wish for.

      Adios mon' -
      DRAE

     

      

j












1 comment:

  1. Hi dRae! Henry recommended your blog and it is perfect timing as Susan and I have both committed to improving our diet and health -- and is only furthering the great strides I've personally made in the last couple of years and I am optimistic for Susan's gains as well. Whenever I try to be better about my "lengthening" I can't help and think of you and the direction that you gave to me last summer. Hope this finds you enjoying life -- no doubt you are. Hugs, Tom

    ReplyDelete