Monday, December 26, 2011

What are you struggling against?



I practice yoga every morning at around 5:30. Before starting my practice I read from one of my yoga books. The passage that spoke to me this morning is from B.K.S. Iyengar's Light On Life, The Yoga Journey to Wholeness, Inner Peace, and Ultimate Freedom

Yoga tries to help us to truly innovate, to develop the intelligence that allows us to create a new relationship to our ego and our world. This new relationship is dependent on perceiving the world objectively and truthfully and on making choices, discerning what is best. 

Mr. Iyengar makes a clear distinction between being inventive (producing a different variation of the old) and innovative (introducing the new, engaging in a process of change).

I dedicated my practice to this idea of being innovative. I meditated on what that might mean to me. I don't know. I truly don't.

The purpose of this blog is to explore and define this new, engaging relationship I am morphing into with my ego. What the heck does that mean? It means that I am changing - my consciousness is shifting, my relationship to my children (I have 5 and 3 grandchildren) is new, the work I want to do in this world is new (I don't know yet what it is).

I have been a nurse since 1974. That's 38 years. I'm also a yoga and Pilates Teacher and a Personal Trainer. By nature I'm a caring person who has spent a ton of time thinking about other's needs. Both of my parents are deceased. Taking this time to write this blog all about my journey into my 60's has been a funny experience to me. Spending this much time with "me" is a funny feeling. It's good....but, different.

In the past when I have meditated I have simply sat with my self and stayed with the breath best I could. With the help of Tibetan Buddhist nun Pema Chodrin's teachings, I am now meditating with a focus. I'm blogging today to share with you this wonderful meditation technique.

Meditation Practice

Find a comfortable seat on the floor or in a chair. If you are on the floor sit with your legs crossed and your hands placed comfortably on your knees or wherever you would like them to be.

Lift your chest up and lengthen you spine. Pull your shoulder blades together in the back. Let your neck be loose. Keep your chest lifted, so that you don't cover over your heart.

Don't cover over your heart.

Take a moment to scan your body from the bottom of your feet to the top of your head. Relax your feet, your knees, your hips, pull your belly in, lengthen your spine, relax your neck muscles and the muscles of your face, even the space between your eyebrows.

Gaze about 4 feet in front of you. Let your gaze be soft. Let it be soft.

Notice your breath. Simply notice it. Air goes in, air goes out.

Feel unconditional friendliness for yourself. Respect all parts of your being - your physical, intellectual, emotional, spiritual being. Feel kindness toward yourself.

Now - focus on your out breath.

Inhale - dark/damp/confining/uncomfortable
Exhale - flash of light/new light/ good light

Stay with your breath and with this image of dark and light

Spiritual Practice


Keep your breath steady - stay with your breath. Simply breath goes in, breath goes out.

Think this -

*You are not alone with this confusion (or whatever you are working on), there are hundreds and thousands of people that share this _________." This alone is a powerful and comforting mantra.

Then think this -

"May we all be free of this struggle and the root of this struggle." I love this mantra. It's liberating.

Then this -

"Since I'm already feeling this _________, may others be free of it."

Then sit for a while and just breath and listen to what your intuitive self might have to offer you. It's important to -

Get Grounded by sitting, Be Present, Stay With The Breath, Look Inward and Listen for your inner wisdom to pop out.

If your mind wanders (which it will), no worries. Bring it back to your breath, your mood, your focused thoughts.

YOU -


Of course, you will substitute the word "confusion" for whatever is on your mind or in your heart. 


Sometimes the wisdom that is brought to my consciousness does not happen on the mat - often I'll wake up in the middle of the night with an important insight. Or when I'm peeling carrots or folding clean laundry, ping - there is it. And I always say to myself, "Wow!"


This entire meditation can take 10 minutes or 30, whatever suits you. Amazing things happen no matter what. I've meditated about many things this way and have been surprised by the positive outcomes every single time. It's magical.


It's almost a new year. It's a great time to be morphing and pinging.  


Peace and love,
Donna Rae






No comments:

Post a Comment