Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Finding My Age 60 Wild Woman


View of Long Lake in Harrison Maine - from our dock at sunset. The White Mountains are way off in                                   
                                                                        the distance




"The great work before us is to learn to understand what around and about us and what within us must live, and what must die. Our work is to apprehend the timing of both; to allow what must die to die, and what must live to live."
                                            Chapter - The Howl: Resurrection of the Wild Woman
                                            Book - Women Who Run With the Wolves
                                            Author - Clarissa Pinkola Estes, PH.D.



It's hard to believe that there are 3 days left of 2011 and then we will start a whole new year. For me it's a time to explore.

I have such a wonderful life.

I've been married to Henry for 19 years and we've been soul mates for 42 years. He is a lively, fun, devoted, tender husband. I am lucky.

I have many good hearted, kind friends that I cherish.

I have a big family that I love with lots of colorful folks that make me laugh and sometimes cry.

We have abundant health and plenty of money (in fact, we wish we were paying more taxes so the children in our county would have a more solid education).

I'm human so naturally I have sorrow and pain and worry and hang ups and disappointments and all the rest of the things humans have. That's part of life.

 But.........there is something missing in my life. For several years I've been trying to define what it is.

I've decided to hire a Life Coach to help me carefully explore what I can't seem to do on my own.

When you need help, it's important to ask for it.

I'll be blogging about this process in the days ahead. Giving myself one entire year to explore what must live and what must die - to explore my age 60 Wild Woman.

What about you? Have you been on a similar path before? How's your Wild Woman feeling? Wild? Bored? Would you like to share your experience with me? Don't hesitate to send me an email if you'd like to share.

Exercise Tip Of The Day

Stand tall. Plant your feet firmly on the ground or in your shoes. Move your toes around, lift them up, press them down. Become aware of your toes.

Pull your belly button in and lift your rib cage up off your waist, lengthen through your lower spine.

Pull your shoulders blades together in the back and broaden your chest.

Relax your neck.

Breath in in in, breath out out out.

Press into your right foot, contract your thigh and butt muscles. Shift your body weight to the right.

Lift up your left leg and begin writing the ABC"s with your foot, bending your foot at the ankle. See how far you can go.

If your balance is off, place one or both hands on a chair or the wall or the grocery cart. Try to take one hand away and then hold on with as few fingers as you need. For more of a challenge if you can do this little exercise without holding on - shut one eye or both if you are steady.

As we age we lose our sense of balance. The good news is that it will improve with some simple balance exercises.

Try this at the grocery story, while you're brushing your teeth or any time.

Much love,
Donna Rae











No comments:

Post a Comment